J2EE was released every 2 years, Java EE every 3-4 years:
- J2EE 1.2 (December 12, 1999)
- J2EE 1.3 (September 24, 2001) (2 years)
- J2EE 1.4 (November 11, 2003) (2 years)
- Java EE 5 (May 11, 2006) (3 years)
- Java EE 6 (December 10, 2009) (3 years)
- Java EE 7 (May 28, 2013) (4 years)
- Java EE 8 (August 31, 2017) (4 years)
With a Jakarta EE release in 2019 (status), the release cadence would come back to 2-years cycle of J2EE days. A Jakarta EE release in 2020 would be still aligned with the Java EE cadence. However: Jakarta EE plans to have more frequent releases.
MicroProfile and most application servers are already released quarterly. Now you can write your ThinWAR applications against the stable Java EE 8 API and enjoy new MicroProfile features several times a year.
See you at Web, MicroProfile and Java EE Workshops at Munich Airport, Terminal 2 or Virtual Dedicated Workshops / consulting. Is Munich's airport too far? Learn from home: airhacks.io.